So what is COP26?
COP26 was the 26th meeting between governments, NGOs, trade unions, businesses, and everyone else with any interest in climate change to review and negotiate global action. Taking place from 1-12 November 2021 – the world headed to Glasgow, hosted under the UK Presidency.
and Net Zero?
Net zero refers to the balance between the amount of greenhouse gas produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere. We reach net zero when the amount we add is no more than the amount taken away.
In 2019 the UK become first major economy to pass net zero emissions law, requiring us to bring all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050.
Click here for a information on the Government’s Net Zero Startegy (as published on 19th October)
Let sben help you get your business on road to Net Zero
- If you are worried about the escalating cost of energy in financial as well as environmental terms our Low Carbon Business Evolution Programme (LCBEP) continues to deliver advice and support to Staffordshire businesses (whether sben members or not) with grants of over £730,000 provided so far.
- Our brand new the sben Carbon Tracker online tool ( FREE and exclusive to sben members) helps assist with tracking and implementing actions to reduce business carbon emissions.
- We have also launched our Environmental Sustainability GROWTHmapper tool is also available FREE to Staffordshire organisations who are members of sben. Assisted by our team of experienced and accredited coaches, it helps you to understand what is working well and where there are opportunities for environmental improvement and development in your business.
- Our events page gives you a gateway to events (being held by sben and others) leading up to and beyond COP26.
- If you are still trying to understand what the outcomes of COP26 were and what they mean for your business, WSP held a very informative 45 minute briefing on the 16th November. Led by their UK Director of Sustainability, David Symons (who was well received when presenting at sben’s COP26 event on the 4th Nov) WSP shared key takeaways from the two weeks of negotiation, workshops and announcements and the actions which business needs to take. A lot of ground was covered – if you would like to listen to the recording again click here or download a copy of the slides here.
- sben members are able to download our latest Legislation Update (commissioned from ESP) which contains a more in depth look at the issues covered in the WSP presentation as well as highlighting the significance for businesses of recent environmental legislation.
We’d also like to mention Carbon Copy – a UK charity, inspiring big-thinking local action on the climate crisis, helping you discover what’s happening in your local area, to share and celebrate low-carbon success stories, and for you to showcase your own brilliant examples of working together. Here’s the sben story on their website.
What are sben members doing?
Here are some videos from sben members giving us an insight into the steps they are taking
- Find out how the Black Lion is making small and easy changes to move towards their commitment to being more sustainable and moving toward Net Zero. Here
- Karl from Water Plus tells businesses about small steps to change how we use water can make a big difference to how much carbon is produced and moving to net zero. Here. We also have an in-depth look from WaterPlus on how saving water, saves energy and cuts carbon
- Climate Change Matters are spreading the word that following COP26 it becomes more urgent that everyone in Staffordshire works collaboratively together to play our part in addressing this global crisis. Their film ‘DO SOMETHING‘ was premiered at their recent conference conference where representatives from Businesses, Voluntary and Community organisations and individuals came together to raise awareness of the plans of Councils across Staffordshire to address climate change and to explore the ways that we can all work together ensure that in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent we are ambitious in our plans and crucially, our actions.
- An article from new members The Efficiency Group tells us about how they are helping to bringing about a significant reduction in carbon emissions electric, gas, chemicals from clean down and sanitisation processes.
- Keele University and will be hosting a series of events to coincide with COP26
If any other sben members would like to let us know what they might be doing in response then please email or call us on 01785 277379
And finally ….
Here’s a ‘how -to’ guide to support your Net Zero journey from BSI